Biblical Counseling Ministry
Jim Dunn, Pastor of Counseling & Adult Ministries
Purpose: In keeping with our mission, SBC offers a Biblical Counseling Ministry that is committed to helping people solve their problems. Our purpose is to follow our Lord's instructions to "make disciples, teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you." (Matthew 28:19-20) We recognize that the Scriptures are sufficient for an individual's salvation and sanctification; (2 Timothy 3:15-17) and that God has given us all we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of Him. (2 Peter 1:2-3) We believe that counseling should be administered by the Church, be Christ centered, Biblically based, and directive in nature.
We believe counseling is required by the Lord of His people. The Biblical mandate for counseling is part of the process of discipleship. In Colossians 3:16, we read, "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish (counsel) one another with all wisdom."
The following verses speak of counseling:
- "I myself am convinced about you, my brothers, that you yourselves are full of goodness, filled with all knowledge, and competent to instruct one another." (Romans 15:14)
- "Where there is no counsel, the people fall," (Proverbs 11:14 NKJV)
- "Listen to counsel and receive instruction, that you may be wise in your latter days." (Proverbs 19:20 NKJV)
- "We proclaim Him, admonishing (counseling) and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone perfect in Christ." (Colossians 1:28)
- "I will praise the Lord who counsels me;" (Psalm 16:7)
- "I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you." (Psalm 32:8)
To this end we teach and counsel others according to God's Word with the goal of bring others to Christ and to live holy lives in obedience to His Word. God's Word is all sufficient to meet every need of the human heart and we are committed to the Scriptures for understanding and resolving all the nonphysical, personal, and interpersonal sin-related difficulties of people.
The counseling ministry of SBC is pastoral and Biblical in nature. We do not represent or use any secular means or methods nor do we make referrals to secular counselors or agencies. Counseling is provided free of charge by sensitive, caring Christian volunteers and pastoral staff who possess an earnest desire to help others apply Biblical truth to everyday problems.